BAH proudly welcomes our new Cat Friendly Doctor
Melinda D. Merck, D.V.M.
Dr. Merck’s veterinary focus and interest has been on feline medicine since 1989. Before moving to Austin, she owned a feline practice in Atlanta for 17 years and helped establish a no-kill feline shelter.
Dr. Merck is a member of the Board of Directors for North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) and Program Chair for their Animal CSI track. She serves on the WSAVA Animal Wellness and Welfare Committee and the Association of Prosecuting Attorney’s Animal Cruelty Advisory Council. She is the founding chair of the Board of Directors for the International Veterinary Forensic Sciences Association.
She is a contributing author for the NAVC VetFolio Forensics and Animal Welfare. She has worked on several well-known cases including the Elk County cat case involving over 500 cats and the Michael Vick dog fighting case.
Dr. Merck lectures nationally and internationally at veterinary and law conferences and universities on veterinary forensic science and medicine. She has also provided lectures to veterinary schools on feline medicine and training to veterinarians and law enforcement on handling of cats in large scale cruelty cases. She developed the first Veterinary Forensics course for University of Georgia and Florida veterinary schools. She is the Course Coordinator for the online VetFolio Veterinary Forensic courses through NAVC.
- Michigan State University, 1984-1988 – Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Magna Cum Laude
- Michigan State University, 1982-1984 – Associates Degree of Veterinary Science
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
- Association of Shelter Veterinarians
- Georgia Legal Professionals for Animals
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- International Veterinary Forensic Sciences Association, Full Member
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Fellow Member
- American College of Forensic Examiners
- HSVMA Veterinary Advocate Award. March 2015. Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association.
- Angel Award, 3rd quarter 2007, ASPCA
- ASPCA, Grand Prize Winner of the Pet Protector Award, 2003 (Georgia Legal Professionals for Animals)
- Spay Georgia, Veterinary Clinic of the Year, 2003
- Cherokee County Humane Society, Golden Paw Award, 2002
- Good Mews Animal Foundation, Service Recognition Award, 1997